We will be moving to a new house sometime this year.
With that thought comes different emotions...the fun of a new place to decorate, feeling sentimental about leaving our home of the last 12 years.
Of course I have started making lists!
List 1 - has two columns Wants & Needs
This was to help me figure out what we really need in our new home versus what would just be nice to have but we could do without if necessary.
On the Need side:
1 Bedroom on the main level (not getting any younger and stairs do bother my knees sometimes). Connected with that one is a bathroom nearby (at the moment it is down said flight of stairs). A master bath would be great but probably falls closer to the want then need.
2. Dishwasher and Gas Stove - just essential in every way.
3. Garden - even if it's smaller I still want to be able to put in tomatoes, some herbs & flowers
4. Basement - Have to have somewhere to go during really bad weather and we need it for our ebay business.
5. Privacy - We have come to realize that we are just more like country folk and need some space around us to feel comfortable.
6. 3 Bedrooms - for the boys and down the road for our daughter and family when they come to visit
7. Wood floors - This was more necessary when the kids were young and we had dogs but it just fits us better. That and leather couches that can be cleaned is just who we are.
8. A room big enough to entertain company - This has been on our list a long time and a open floor plan where the living and dining room flow together would work.
9. Parking. This goes with the above entertaining idea so a long driveway or easy street parking
10. Central Air Conditioning - yep there's no going back once you've had it.
On the Want side:
1. Fireplace - we have so enjoyed having one. Connected with that is a little woods nearby to collect fallen branches to burn
2. Covered front porch - for sitting on and a protected place for packages
3. Pantry - Would be so nice to have All my kitchen items in one area.
4. Built in Bookshelves - we are avid readers.
5. Ebay room - somewhere with natural light for photographs and an area for packing and storing inventory. All in one place would be a dream.
6. Big closets - where I could actually have all of my clothes instead of storing out of season ones.
7. Deep Bath tub - This almost should be on the Need list as I like to take baths over showers
8. Whole house humidifier - for those long dry winters
9. Attached Garage - where we would actually park our car for a change.
List 2 - Garden
Our house will be knocked down as it floods so there is no reason to leave anything so I am saving all my pots for transferring my garden to the new house.
The Need List:
1. Japanese Maple Tree - slow growing so still small.
2. Blueberry bushes - DH's favorite
3. Peony bushes - one of my favorites
5. Bleeding Heart
6. Virginia Bluebells
7. Hens & chicks and small Sedum
8. Lavender & Sage
9. Lily of the Valley
10. Spring Bulbs
11. Ellen's Lily plant
14. Japanese Iris
And depending on if there is room at the new house can add to the want list
Balloon Flower, Forsythia bush, Raspberry Canes, Hosta, Vinca, Mint and so on.
List 3 - Purge
There is nothing like moving to really clear out the house!
Of course we won't really know everything that needs to go on this list until we find the new home but for now it is a growing list.
It just feels good to go through everything we own and pare it down to only those things we use or love. Plan on having a huge garage sale in May.
First before the sale is giving things away to anyone who may need them It's good to share!
Making the lists have helped me with all the emotions tied to moving. I know that the Lord will provide a new home for us so I'm trusting in Him as to where we will be going. I am praying that he helps us along the way in really letting go of things that are just that..things.